Dr Pokorny gained his medical degree in 1998 at the University of Cape Town, graduating with First Class Honours. He completed his basic Urology training in New Zealand in 2008 and then moved to Brisbane to complete a combined clinical and research fellowship at the Princess Alexandra Hospital. He was awarded his PhD doctorate in 2013 for his thesis on the molecular biology of prostate cancer. During his time at Princess Alexandra Hospital Dr Pokorny gained experience in laparoscopic kidney surgery and general urology. Dr Pokorny was appointed as a VMO at Princess Alexandra Hospital in 2013.
In 2014 Dr Pokorny moved with his family to Belgium for one year to complete a fellowship in robotic surgery under the guidance of Prof Alex Mottrie, a world leader in robotic urological surgery.
Between 2011 and 2014 Dr Pokorny also played a key role in assisting Dr Les Thompson to run the first Australian trial using prostate MRI and MRI-guided biopsy in the diagnosis of prostate cancer. This study, published in European Urology in 2014, has become a landmark paper for the field and prostate MRI is now routinely used for diagnosis of prostate cancer. Dr Pokorny is continuing to work with Dr Thompson at the Wesley Hospital performing MRI-based prostate cancer imaging and biopsy. Dr Pokorny and Dr Thompson are also currently involved in leading a world-first study, in partnership with Prof Jelle Barentsz from The Netherlands, in using a new MRI-based iron nanoparticle technology to diagnose prostate cancer that has spread to lymph glands. This study is due to commence at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane later this year.
Dr Pokorny currently holds a VMO appointment at Redcliffe Hospital and consults at the Wesely Medical Centre, Auchenflower and operates at the Wesley Hospital offering robotic surgery for prostate and kidney problems, as well as laparoscopic, open and endoscopic treatment of multiple urological problems.
- Invited speaker, Victorian Urology Section Meeting, Melbourne, 13 November 2015 - Prostate MRI and MRI-guided biopsy - The Wesley Hospital Experience
- Y-Box Binding Protein 1, a key regulator of Androgen Receptor signaling; Prostate Cancer World Congress, Cairns, 2015; Anja Rockstroh, Morgan R. Pokorny, Chelsea Walker, Melanie L. Lehman & Colleen C. Nelson
- A prospective comparison of transrectal ultrasound biopsy with an MRI based diagnostic strategy in men without previous prostate biopsies – EAU 2014 Stockholm - Plenary Session 13 April 2014
- A prospective comparison of transrectal ultrasound biopsy with an MRI based diagnostic strategy in men without previous prostate biopsies – EAU 2014 Stockholm – Poster Session 14 April 2014 – Winner, Best Poster in session
- The role of YBX1 in prostate cancer - results from a 180K custom Agilent microarray position YBX1 as a possible master regulator in prostate cancer –EAU 2014 Stockholm – Poster session 14 April 2013
- A secure online forum for urological case discussion and networking – Uroforum.com – USANZ Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, 2013
- The role of YBX1 protein in prostate cancer – ANZUP Scientific Meeting, Gold Coast, 2010
- Keith Kirkland Prize Finalist USANZ Meeting February 2008, Hong Kong : “Do Maori and Pacific Island men present with more advanced prostate cancer in Auckland?”
- Thompson, L. C. and M. R. Pokorny (2015). "Multiparametric MRI in the diagnosis of prostate cancer - a generational change." Australian family physician 44(8): 597-602.
- Pokorny, M., G. Novara, et al. (2015). "Robot-assisted Simple Prostatectomy for Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Secondary to Benign Prostatic Enlargement: Surgical Technique and Outcomes in a High-volume Robotic Centre." European urology. (online ahead of print)
- Pokorny, M., W. Van de Ven, et al. (2014). "Reply to Yaalini Shanmugabavan, Stephanie Guillaumier and Hashim U. Ahmed's Letter to the Editor re: Morgan R. Pokorny, Maarten de Rooij, Earl Duncan, et al. Prospective Study of Diagnostic Accuracy Comparing Prostate Cancer Detection by Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy Versus Magnetic Resonance (MR) Imaging with Subsequent MR-guided Biopsy in Men Without Previous Prostate Biopsies. Eur Urol 2014;66:22-9." Eur Urol.
- Prospective Study of Diagnostic Accuracy Comparing Prostate Cancer Detection by Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy Versus Magnetic Resonance (MR) Imaging with Subsequent MR-guided Biopsy in Men Without Previous Prostate Biopsies. Pokorny MR, de Rooij M, Duncan E, Schröder FH, Parkinson R, Barentsz JO, Thompson LC. European Urology. 2014 Mar 14.
- BJU Int. 2011 Apr;107 Suppl 3:27-32; Do Maori and Pacific Islander men present with more advanced prostate cancer than European New Zealand men? An analysis of 486 men undergoing biopsy in Auckland. Pokorny MR, Scott DJ.
- ANZ J Surg. 2004 Aug;74(8):691-3., An inexpensive home-made laparoscopic trainer and camera; Pokorny, M. R. ; McLaren, S. L.
Prizes and Awards
- 2013 - Winner of USANZ Prize for Best Abstract by a Fellow less than 10 years in practice, USANZ Annual Scientific Meeting Melbourne 2013
- Winner of MMT Prize (Mobile Medical Technology) for Best Trainee Presentation, NZ Urology Annual Sectional Meeting, Tauranga, October 2007
Founder and developer of www.uroforum.com – an online secure forum for urologists and other medical specialists to network, discuss cases and share resources. Launched March 2013